Adding A New Tenant To An Existing Council Tenancy Agreement

Each tenant is on an equal footing and can apply for a housing allowance. If one tenant dies, the lease usually passes to the other tenant. This is called the success of a lease. You can ask someone who lives with you to become a common tenant with you. It is not without reason that we will refuse. The lease you have depends on the facts of your situation, not what your agreement says. For example, if you pay rent to a private landlord who does not reside in your home and you have agreed to a 6-month lease agreement, you will likely have a secure short construction contract (or an insured rental agreement in Scotland). This is the case even if your agreement says something else. Check the type of rental you have. In the event of the death of a tenant, the lease is continued for the surviving tenant(s). If someone dies, the communal lease can be passed on by inheritance to someone who has lived in the property for the past 12 months. The rights granted by law vary depending on the type of rental. You can assign your tenancy to someone who has the right to inherit your tenancy after your death.

This is called allocation and can only be done once per lease. In this case, all rights and obligations of the lease are transferred from you to the new tenant. The Council does not support orders that lead to the sub-residence of immovable property and the grant that the property can only be allocated to one person. You must be informed of your rents in order for your application to be taken into consideration and you cannot award a joint rental agreement. You will find information about the rights and obligations of private tenants and landlords in our rental advice with a private landlord.